Alberta HealthCare


Our registry is happy to offer Alberta Health Care services for your convenience. If you are new to Alberta, just married, changing your name or address, or adding dependents to your account, we will be more than happy to assist you.


-All eligible residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). If you are new or a returning Alberta resident, you must register for Alberta Health Care to receive insured hospital and physician services.

-If you are moving to Alberta from within Canada, your health care from the previous province will cover you for 90 days. To ensure there is not a lapse of your health care coverage, you must apply for your Alberta Health Care before those 90 days are up.

-If you are moving to Alberta from outside Canada, your coverage begins on your date of arrival in Alberta, once all registration validation requirements are met.

-If your AHC Application is not received within 3 months of when you arrive and establish permanent residency in Alberta, the effective date will be determined upon application.

-No eligible resident of Alberta with appropriate documentation will be denied coverage. If you don’t have the required documents we will assist you in determining what you need.

-An eligible resident of Alberta is a person who is:
          -Legally entitled to be or to remain in Canada and makes his/her permanent home in Alberta.
          -Committed to being physically present in Alberta for at lease 183 days of a 12-month period.
          -Not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another province, territory, or country.
          -Any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident not including a tourist, transient or visitor in Alberta.

-Non-eligible residents include members of the Canadian Armed Forces, Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and federal penitentiary inmates. These residents receive coverage from the federal government. Dependents of these non-eligible residents, who reside in Alberta, must be registered with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

-Dependents Include:
          -Married spouses: Must register together
          -Separated spouses: May register together or separately
          -Divorced spouses: Must register separately
          -Adult-Interdependent partners: May register together or separately.
          -Single children under the age of 21 and wholly dependent on their parent(s), including adopted children, foster children (if an income tax deduction was claimed), and wards of the court.

-In cases of separation or divorce, the custodial parent registers the children.
-In cases of joint custody, children are registered on the account of one or the other parent, but not both, as agreed upon by both parents.
-Single children who are 21 years of age or older and wholly dependent on their parent(s) because of physical or mental disabilities.
-Single children who are under 25 years of age and in full-time attendance at an accredited educational institute.

1) Alberta Residency: Documents must show name and current Alberta address, which must be the same as on the application.
          -Current Alberta driver’s license
          -Current Alberta ID card
          -Current Utility bills for an Alberta residence
          -A current pay stub, bank statement, or lease agreement may be submitted as proof of Alberta Residency as long as it includes your full name and Alberta address.

2) Government Issued Photo Identification: Document must be government issued identification, which shows your photo, name, and birth date.
          -Canadian/Non-Canadian Passport
          -Canadian Citizenship Card
          -Permanent Resident Card
          -Federal Identification Card
          -Current Alberta, provincial, or territorial driver’s license.

3) Legal entitlement to be in Canada: Document must be ID that shows your name and birth date.
          -Canadian Passport
          -Canadian Citizenship Card
          -Canadian Birth Certificate
          -Permanent Resident Card
          -Canada Entry Document (Work Permit/Study Permit)

-If you have lost your Alberta Health Care Card, or the card is unreadable or damaged, simply bring in your photo ID and fill out the application form.
-You should receive the new card within 5-10 business days.

-Due to Marriage:
          -If you have recently been married, you must combine your and your spouse’s health care accounts.
          -You can change your name at the same time.
          -Come to the registries with your marriage certificate to fill out the forms.
-Due to name Correction:
          -If your name is spelt wrong, or only shows an initial on your card bring your birth certificate to the registries to request a correction.
-Due to separation or divorce:
          -If you and your partner are separated/divorced and you wish to return to your own account and maiden name, bring your birth certificate to the registries to update your account.

-If you have moved, you must update your mailing address with Alberta Health care.

-Bring your ID to a registry and fill out the required paperwork to update to your new address,
-Call Alberta Health Care toll free to update your address. Call the government right line at 310-0000 then dial 780-427-1432.

Disclaimer: While we have done our best to describe what you need for a service, every situation is unique and variable circumstances may change the requirements for a service. If you have any questions or concerns regarding proper documents, please don’t hesitate to call so we can ensure you have everything you need the first time.